Edward II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edward II

A forum to discuss the reign of Edward II and 14th century history

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Haley's Comet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mipp

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Haley's Comet Empty
PostSubject: Haley's Comet   Haley's Comet Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Roger Mortimer married Jeanne de Geneville on September 30, 1301, the eve of the Feast of St. Matthew the Apostle. The groom was 14, and the bride was 15. Ian Mortimer, in his biography The Greatest Traitor, notes that a comet appeared the night after the wedding, and was visible for a week. This would appear to be a cited appearance of Haley's Comet, which did indeed appear in 1301 on it's 75-year-cycle around the earth. That year Italian painter Giotto di Bondone included the comet in the place of the Star of Bethlehem in a painting of the Nativity. Scroll down on this article to see an image of this painting featuring Haley's Comet as Roger would've seen it.

Here are the years that Haley's Comet would've appearedv during the medieval era:

Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Haley's Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haley's Comet   Haley's Comet Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 11:35 am

That's really interesting! I'd forgotten the bit about the comet in Ian Mortimer's bio.
Back to top Go down
http://edwardthesecond.com/
Tansy

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Haley's Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haley's Comet   Haley's Comet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm

This is really interesting - I read about this in Mortimer's book. I suppose looking back they would have viewed it as a portent. It also appeared shortly before the Battle of Hastings in 1066 so I guess it was pretty inauspicious to be married when it appeared.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Haley's Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Haley's Comet   Haley's Comet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Haley's Comet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Edward II :: Reign of Edward II :: Personalities :: Others :: Roger Mortimer-
Jump to: