Edward II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edward II

A forum to discuss the reign of Edward II and 14th century history

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reasons why Edward II was crap

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Reasons why Edward II was crap Empty
PostSubject: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 7:01 pm

As I have been accused by certain persons of bias and unfairness by starting a thread on the misdeeds of Roger Mortimer, I've decided to even things out by starting one containing some of the many, many reasons why Edward The Second Was Totally Crap:

- he was a rotten general.

- he was lazy and incompetent.

- he had no judgement whatsoever.

- he behaved tyrannically from 1322.

- he thoroughly deserved to lose his throne.

- he allowed men to rule his country for him when they had no right to.

- he treated his friends and former allies (yes, I mostly mean The Sainted Roger Mortimer here) incredibly unfairly and unjustly.

- last but not least, he was one of the worst kings in English history.

Feel free to add your own - knock yourselves out!
Back to top Go down
http://edwardthesecond.com/
Anejre

Anejre

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Gosh, I hope he didn't beat his camel! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 am

^ LOL!

Here's what some historians have said about Edward II:

Richard Baker: "worthy never to have been born." (Ouch!!)

- May McKisack: "a weakling and a fool."

- J Mackinnon: "a greater ninny never sat on the English throne."

- T. F. Tout: "a coward and a trifler."

And Ed's contemporary, author of the Vita Edwardi Secundi:

"Our king has now reigned six full years and has until now achieved nothing praiseworthy or memorable."

"What hopes he raised as prince of Wales! How they were dashed when he became king!"

Plenty more of those, when I have more time to post them...
Back to top Go down
Melisende

Melisende

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Alianore,

I don't think you've ever not said that you weren't pro-Edward II. You've always been upfront about your preference for Edward as a person whom who have a great interest in. But in saying that, I don't recall you being completely anti-anyone else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/9329
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks, Melisende! Unfortunately, a former member of the forum made some very nasty and hurtful comments on another thread, and one of the things mentioned (and by far the least hurtful, but I did my best to ignore the rest) was that I was really biased and unfair. Now, I'd imagine that anyone who chooses to join a forum called 'Edward II' that I've set up would have the brains to realise who I prefer...*rolls eyes*. I've always made it clear here and on my blog, or at least tried to, that although I'm devoted to Ed II, I've never said that he was anything but a disastrous king who made lots of mistakes.
Back to top Go down
James

James

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Alianore,

While I suspose there is no real doubt (alas!) about Edward's rottenness as a general, is it really entirely true that he was completely lazy and incompetent? To hear some talk you might think that Edward spent the whole of his reign fighting his earls, hobnobbing with scandalous favourites and having one great long party with his 'lowborn friends', while the North of England burned. But in fact Edward launched numerous expeditions against the Scots, personally wintered over in Scotland for two campaigning seasons (1310-11) and planned several more. It wasn't so much that he wasn't paying attention to affairs of state, just that his efforts weren't very successful.

Also, while hopeless as a general himself, he did sometimes pick competent lieutenants to carry out his orders - both Gaveston and Andrew Harclay seem to have performed reasonably well on campaign.

Was Edward quite as inept as historians have generally made him out to be?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why Edward II was crap   Reasons why Edward II was crap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reasons why Edward II was crap
Page 1 of 1