Edward II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edward II

A forum to discuss the reign of Edward II and 14th century history

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Dunheved Gang

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady D

Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

The Dunheved Gang Empty
PostSubject: The Dunheved Gang   The Dunheved Gang Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks to Alianore for getting me interested in these fellows again! I was wondering (and thanks to wondering, not getting off to sleep) just how they managed to get into and then overwhelm the garrison at Berkeley Castle to rescue Ed.

I certainly think it was an inside job - but even so, it must have still been difficult to quell any resistance in such a place. I'm wondering whether perhaps the men guarding the castle were drugged with something?
Back to top Go down
http://despenser.blogspot.com
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

The Dunheved Gang Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dunheved Gang   The Dunheved Gang Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 am

I'd give a great deal to know how they managed it! The whole story is just incredible, and it's such a shame that so little is known about it. The fact that the men had time to seize Ed and plunder the castle, and managed to escape (or at least, a few of them did) suggests that they'd completely overpowered the garrison, and presumably locked them up or otherwise incapacitated them, so that they couldn't pursue the Dunheveds from the castle. I wonder if the Dunheveds stole horses, or if they escaped on foot. Maybe they let all the horses loose to make sure the garrison couldn't follow them.

Ohhhhh, I'm so obsessed with all this!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://edwardthesecond.com/

The Dunheved Gang
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Edward II :: Reign of Edward II :: Personalities :: Others-
Jump to: