Edward II
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edward II

A forum to discuss the reign of Edward II and 14th century history

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Piers Gaveston

Go down 
+3
elflady
Melisende
Alianore
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Anejre

Anejre

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:24 pm

It's from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A21605735

'smarmy git' - what a cheek!
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I'd expect better from the BBC. What a load of nonsense! Thomas of Lancaster was never called Plantagenet (neither was anyone else till the 15th century) and they get Warwick's marriages hilariously wrong. He never married Isabel de Clare, they were only betrothed, and 'Alice Flamstead' never existed - his only wife Alice de Toeni was the daughter of the lord of Flamstead, and certainly not Scottish! So all that bit about respecting his wife's heritage is wrong too. How do they know Piers slept in Ed's chamber the night of the coronation? Maybe he did, but there's no source that says so.

'Smarmy git'??? How dare they! Everyone knows Piers was perfect! king
Back to top Go down
http://edwardthesecond.com/
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

The whole article was just pathetic. Just a shame they give out so many historical inaccuracies. And Piers was just compltely perfect! Of that, there is no doubt! king
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Piers - blonde or dark-haired?

Am currently reading 'The Ruling Passion', just started it actually. And Piers is mentioned as flicking away his 'golden hair'. Usually Piers is always potrayed as being dark haired. What a shame there are no portraits or likenesses from that time. I've always thought of Piers as dark-haired.
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:49 pm

btw, Piers is described as extremely handsome and charming in the opening chapters. Can't disagree with that:) He's sort of like Ed's hero.
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 am

Totally agree, Anerje - I just can't see Piers with blond hair! To me, he'll always have dark hair. Wink

Looking forward to hearing what you think of Ruling Passion! I'm enjoying it, for the most part - there are some lovely insights, Edward (or Ned) is sympathetically portrayed, and Piers is sexy!
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:03 pm

of course Piers is bound to be sexy - even if he is blonde:) I expect I'm lagging way behind you!
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I actually had some lol! moments in the siege of Berwick chapter. Ed and Piers were so sweet:)
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm

I have to admit I still haven't sat down and started to read it from the beginning - I've just flicked through for all the good bits. *Grins*
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 pm

Oh, and I thought I was being so good, reading it page by page, (except for peaking at THAT chapter). lol! lol! I can guess the 'good' bits king
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Just (almost) finished the 'Ruling Passion - a new novel about Ed and Piers. here are my first thoughts -

It’s a bit too ‘cerebral’ for my liking, analysing and over-analysing Ed’s character and trying to understand Ed and Piers’ relationship. They are seen mainly through the eyes of the others - Edward Ist and a fictional character called Willy Wild.

I didn’t really like Ed and Piers at the start of the novel. But as we only see them through the eyes of Ed 1st and Willy Wild, that’s not surprising. There are some amusing and sweet moments. The siege at Berwick is funny with ED and Piers unable to stay away from each other, Ed 1st trying to engage Piers in some sort of conversation, Piers only enthusiastic with the phrase ‘I do like a trebuchet’ and Ed finally spilling blood. The sweet scenes for me were Piers always finding a way to get back with Ed, and vice versa, and Ed teaching Piers to swim.
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 7:07 pm

I get to like them more when Ed becomes king – although you get to see the worst of Piers. When some people read about Piers cruel nicknames, they often don’t see the wit and damage that was done, and not all historical fictions carry it off well. But this author does – Piers is so insulting – he’s really goading and vicious. However, this fictional Piers is more than able to defend himself. He really is magnificent – unafraid of anyone, willing to fight for his honour – far more brave than the earls. It’s easy to see his charisma here.
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 7:08 pm

To me, it seems Piers acts how the king should – Ed knows this – but Piers doesn’t have the power, or the education of a king to carry it off. Ed does know all about playing the magnates off against each other and has the lessons from his father and grandfather.

Over all, a good read with a sympathetic view of Ed and Piers - they just can't help themselves. king
Back to top Go down
boswellbaxter

boswellbaxter

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Who's Willy Wild?

I'll have to get this one when it comes out on Amazon US.
Back to top Go down
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Willy Wild is a fictional character who is Ed 1st's loyal servant and spends many hours, days, weeks, etc discussing how unsuitable Prince Ed is to be king and laments his passion for Gaveston. You see Ed and Piers through Wild's eyes alot of the time, so you don't always know what they are thinking. Without spoiling it too much, Wild has several changes of heart. He's, erm, a bit strange himself. king
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Definitely worth a read, IMO. Perhaps I should have put this review in the book section, but I like to keep Piers' thread thriving Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lady D

Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 2:41 pm

'Willy Wild' LOL! That is such a name to conjure with. I think I'm tempted to read this book just for that alone Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://despenser.blogspot.com
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Have to admit - so wrapped up in Ed and Piers, didn't make the connection with the name - honestly! lol!
Back to top Go down
Lady D

Lady D

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 pm

Actually, I reckon that 'Wild Willy' would have been even better (cousin to 'Free Willy' perhaps?). Whatever, I reckon Piers would have loved to have a 'Wild Willy' somewhere in his story Razz
Back to top Go down
http://despenser.blogspot.com
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 pm

I am now reading some 'lighter' Piers fiction - 'Alice' - about a fictitious lady of Edward II's court who becomes Piers' mistress - well, it is fiction Very Happy Piers puts his life on the line to keep Ed from being influenced by Walter Reynolds. Apparently, it's Reynolds' fault Ed keeps ending up in bed with men. Piers is totally straight, and Ed seems happy with this arrangement, even thogh he declares his love for Piers regularly and even kisses him on the mouth at one point. Alice is quick to notice that while Piers doesn't object, he doesn't kiss back. How observant of her Laughing
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Wish there was another Piers novel begging to be read..... Has anyone ever read The Gascon?
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 pm

As the festive season is almost upon us, I've been listening to the unavoidable carols - Piers' fav would surely be '12 days of Christmas' - just think of all the things Ed would give him:) Forget turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree - an earldom and some of the crown jewels would have been much more appreciated santa
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 pm

*Grins* And don't forget all the fabby clothes. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anejre

Anejre

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 am

and those wonderful silver forks for eating pears! Piers was just so stylish.........Ed would have been only too happy to give him what he wanted santa I expect it was like Christmas every day hehehehe!
Back to top Go down
Alianore
Admin
Alianore

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

*Has visions of Piers singing "Well, I wish it could be Christmas every day...Wait a minute! With Edward, it is!"* :-) LOVE Piers' silver forks. Using them about 300 years before anyone else did! santa santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Piers Gaveston   Piers Gaveston - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Piers Gaveston
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next